How can I help myself?
If you have been diagnosed with BPD there are many things you can do to help yourself cope better:
1)Physical activity such as walking, cleaning, dancing—anything that can distract you from your present emotions.
2)Playing music can create a very different feeling to the one you are struggling with. e.g. happy music if you are feeling sad, relaxing music if you are anxious.
3)Talking to someone you trust can be a big help when you are struggling with strong feelings e.g. calling a supportive friend, a family member or a helpline.
4) Mediation or taking some quiet time in peaceful surroundings.
5) Breathing exercises. Sit or lie somewhere quiet and bring your attention to your breathing. Breath evenly, slowly, and deeply, letting your stomach rise and fall with each breath.
6) Getting enough sleep can help you cope better with stress
7) Reading something uplifting
8) Acknowledging your emotions. Notice the emotion you are having, and let yourself experience it as a wave, without trying to block it, suppress it, or hold on to it. Try to accept the emotion for what it is.
9) Riding it out. Strong emotional reactions (and the urges to self harm, binge, or drink) usually last for a few minutes and then begin to subside. Set a timer for 10 minutes and practice riding out the emotion.
10) A warm bath or shower. Add some scented bath salts or candles and allow the warm water and pleasant fragrance take you into a different emotional space.
11) Grounding exercises. Sounds, sights, smells and sensations can help you come back into the present, for instance, take a deep breath, and then start to mentally list the things you see around you; listen to the sounds you hear around you, how they rise and fall and change; take hold of an ice cube and hold it in your hand until it starts to cause mild discomfort; or snap a rubber band against your wrist.
12) Helping someone else. This can be as small a things such as smiling at the shop assistant at the supermarket checkout.
13) Being prepared for a crisis: keeping handy a list of contact details of people or organizations you trust can be really useful in a crisis.